When it comes to wise long-term investments, in my eyes it’s hard to top two of the most well-known tech names out there, Facebook (FB) & Amazon (AMZN). Before I get into this post, let me just start by saying that yes, I do own both of these stocks, and they are currently my two top holdings. They will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
When I look into purchasing stock in a company, one of the first things I look to learn about is the CEO. Both Amazon and Facebook have very smart, forward-thinking CEO’s with Mark Zuckerberg running things at Facebook and Jeff Bezos holding the spot at Amazon. Both are more than willing to bet money now on long-term hopes, dreams, and visions which is something I fully believe in. In this field their track records speak for themselves.
Both of these companies will be reporting earnings at the end of this month. When it comes to quarterly earnings, anything can happen. There is no way for me to guarantee, obviously, that either of these companies are going to beat their earnings estimates this quarter, which a lot of the time means the stock price will rise. However, I can say with strong belief that over time these companies will each have many successful quarters, and the stock WILL rise.
First off let’s look at Facebook. As of this writing and it being a Sunday when the Stock Market is closed, FB sits at $128.34 per share. This is up significantly from when it first went public in May of 2012 at $38.23 per share. Imagine if you would have invested then?
Here are a few of the reasons that I personally believe that Facebook will continue to grow:
- Instagram Stories: Facebook, which owns Instagram, just launched Instagram Stories within the past few months, to compete with Snapchat. The product is EXTREMELY similar. Advertising on that platform is just beginning to roll out, and the daily users continue to grow. I’ve even read reports that Instagram Story-like features will eventually be coming to Facebook Messenger and other parts of Facebook. I personally cannot wait to see the Instagram Story product itself as it continues to add features and expand, I really enjoy using it!
- VR (Virtual Reality): Facebook owns Oculus VR which produces virtual reality headsets, etc.. I don’t personally believe in AS MUCH of a future for VR as others do, but I do believe it’s going to be an aspect of their business that continues to grow.
- Advertising In General: As more and more brands begin understanding the huge shift in where eyeballs are going, away from television sets/cable and more towards the Internet/streaming, Facebook will keep growing advertising revenues through their platforms.
- The Next Big Thing: Remember when Facebook bought Instagram? Remember when Facebook TRIED to buy Snapchat? Well, keep an eye out because I guarantee you that Facebook will try to buy “the next big thing” that grows out of nowhere.
These are just a few of my personal visions for Facebook’s future. I see no reason why within a year or two, Facebook stock won’t be sitting somewhere between $200 or $300 per share, or greater. Keep in mind however, that Facebook last year announced a pending stock split and a new class of shares that won’t contain voting power, so the price target will need to be adjusted for this once it happens.
Now let’s look at Amazon. As of right now AMZN sits at $817.14 per share. This is up from $1.50 per share when the company first went public in May of 1997. No, you didn’t read that wrong… it was only $1.50 per share!!!!!!! Imagine making THAT investment and holding on to it!
Here are a few of the reasons that I see Amazon continuing to rise…..
- Amazon Prime: Prime is a beast. Amazon generates a huge amount of revenue just off of memberships to this alone, and subscriptions continue to grow. They keep adding new perks to Prime, and are always working on new ones, which in turn will keep the amount of subscribers growing.
- Drones: It may seem crazy, but Amazon is actually working on launching Amazon Prime Air drone deliveries. Imagine it. You order something, and a half hour later you get your order delivered to your front yard via a drone. It is this type of forward thinking that will keep Amazon stock growing alone.
- Streaming Sports: Amazon is working on adding LIVE streaming sports to its Prime service, which will again keep subscriptions rising.
- Physical Retail Locations: Amazon has been working on and testing a variety of formats for physical stores. Everything from corner store type locations, to grocery store and book store locations, which actually have a few locations already in existence.
- Echo/Alexa: Although it still may seem strange to many, this market is going to be huge. Having a “personal assistant” who orders household items for you when it realizes you are low, before even YOU do? How cool is that? Another way Amazon is into this space is through their Dash Buttons, which continue to grow and expand. Besides this cool feature, being able to simply find out pretty much anything you need, just by asking? An absolute game changer. It’s also been announced that Alexa will be built into Ford vehicles in the future, which is YET another stream of revenue!
These are just a few of the MANY forward-thinking ideas that Amazon is working on, and it’s only a FEW of what have been announced. Imagine what they are working on behind the scenes! You hear estimate targets of $1,000 for Amazon stock quite often, but I’m even more bullish on Amazon. I say that within two or three years Amazon stock WILL hit $1,200 easily. $1,500? Quite possible!
It will be fun to look back to this blog as time goes on to see what ideas and thoughts I was right on, what I was wrong on, and what I didn’t even think was possible! Bottom line, despite typical ups and downs of the Stock Market, possible future economic downturns, and whatever else gets thrown at us, Facebook & Amazon stock will grow and will grow BIG TIME.
If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them below and I WILL RESPOND!
Thank you so much for reading!