If I had to sum up my 2017 I could only really do so by saying that it was an absolutely amazing year! I made several predictions on this blog last year (although I haven’t updated in a while, so sorry!) and for the most part a huge percentage of them came true. First and foremost back on June 25th of last year I wrote a post regarding tech stocks and cryptocurrency titled “Tech Wreck? NOPE! Just Another Step In The Trek 😉 … AND Cryptocurrency Craze!”
In this post, I must say, I feel that I nailed it. Not only am I happy that this was the case, but putting my money where my mouth is, my investment accounts are also happy. First thing, as I talked about purchasing more shares of Facebook stock at $149.60 and more shares of Amazon stock at $978.31, both have soared. As of this writing, Facebook sits at $190.00 and Amazon sits at $1,402.05!
In a more broader stock market prediction, as the Dow Jones Industrial Average sat at $21,394.76, I said we would be getting closer to $30,000 before signs of the next recession hit. Right now we’re sitting at $26,616.71 with no signs of slowing down just yet!
Towards the end of last year, I also wrote an article regarding loving the Robinhood app for buying and selling stocks, and mentioned that I may eventually stop using the Stockpile app. Shortly after, without updating this blog, I did just that. At the time I owned shares in about 40 companies, and I sold them all off in Stockpile, cashed out, and put all of the money into Robinhood. I then invested into just seven companies: Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Apple, Nvidia, Square & Alibaba. Since this investment, as of this writing, these investments are up a total of 18.88%!
A huge part of this gain is my investment in Netflix, which just reported earnings last week. That investment alone is up 44.27%! You honestly cannot beat the Robinhood app, and to make it even better, just this past week they announced that they will be beginning cryptocurrency trading starting in February, although it will begin by rolling out in just five states.
In the article I first mentioned in this post, I mentioned about my other obsession at the time being cryptocurrency. 2017 was an absolute beast of a year for crypto, which saw Bitcoin, for example, grow from around $1,000 to around $19,000 by the end of the year, although we are currently seeing a pullback where we sit around $11,000. It’s very volatile, but absolutely is the future!
I figured that since 2018 is still only beginning, I’d take the time to briefly make some predictions for the year. I really want to post more frequent content here this year, but to kick it off, let’s get these predictions out of the way. Here they are, in no particular order, as follows:
- All of 2018 the overall stock market will continue to rise, and we will hit Dow $30,000 before the year ends. Thanks tax reform!
- Although crypto has currently pulled back, we will very soon be seeing another surge which will also put Bitcoin past $30,000 per coin. Must be the year of 30,000, I suppose?!
- Spotify will launch its IPO this year, and the stock will surge. My guess is by year’s end it will be up nearly 100% or better!
- Coinbase will add several more cryptocurrencies to it’s platform, which will contribute to the surging prices. I am guessing that Ripple, Dash, and Monero will be added. I’d personally like to also see Stellar, TRON, and a few others as well! Robinhood’s launch of crypto trading will continue to be added to more states, which will help with the price growth, and they will become the first true competitor to Coinbase in the United States.
- Netflix will have a few pullbacks, but overall have an absolutely amazing year! BUY. NETFLIX. NOW! (Well, maybe wait for at least a little pullback!)
- A little known new coin/crypto which is currently still in its infancy, TurtleCoin, will grow rapidly. This is the first coin that I’ve gotten into at such a small stage. Look into it! https://turtlecoin.lol/
Do I see a recession this year? No. Will there BE another recession? Absolutely! At any point, there could be any sort of geopolitical event or any other type of unpredictable event which could trigger the stock market to begin to slide. Right now I am not seeing much that is noticeable, but that could easily change in a heartbeat. I will say that I have continued to invest heavily in both stocks and crypto, but I have begun growing my cash position larger than it has been in a while. Right now it sits around 10% of total investments, and in the coming months towards the end of 2018, I plan on growing it to between 25-50%. That way when something does look like it’s about to happen, or it actually does happen, I’m ready.
I hope you all have an amazing year of investments in 2018, and as I mentioned, I really want to start adding more content to this blog. I have a lot going on, so sometimes I get behind, but I can promise you all that this blog will forever be a huge part of my life. Let me know if there’s anything you’d like to see here, anything you’d like me to cover, or just drop a line to say hello. Thank you all, and I’ll be back soon!(-ish). 😉